What's the purpose of this trial?
This phase II trial evaluates how a curcumin supplement (C3 complex/Bioperine) changes the inflammatory response and symptomatology in patients with clonal cytopenia of undetermined significance (CCUS), low risk myelodysplastic syndrome (LR-MDS), and myeloproliferative neoplasms (MPN). Chronic inflammation drives disease development and contributes to symptoms experienced by patients with CCUS, LR-MDS, and MPN. Curcumin has been shown to have anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties and has been studied in various chronic illnesses and hematologic diseases.
This is an upcoming trial that has not yet started accepting patients.
What will happen during the trial?
You may be able to join this trial if you:
The following criteria is a partial list of reasons why patients may be
eligible to participate in this clinical trial. Further evaluation with a medical professional is
* Age \>= 18
* Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (ECOG) =\< 2
* Ability to understand and willingness to sign a written informed consent
* Diagnosis of polycythemia vera (PV), essential thrombocytosis (ET) or myelofibrosis (MF) per World Health Organization (WHO) 2016 diagnostic criteria
* Presence of at least one symptom measurable using the MPN-/Symptom Assessment Form (SAF) with a severity greater than 3
* MPN patients determined to have stable disease undergoing surveillance and unlikely to require initiation of new cytoreductive therapy (i.e., hydroxyurea, ruxotinib, interferon within the study period); patients on a stable dose of hydroxyurea for at least 6 months who meet the other inclusion/exclusion criteria may be included
* A diagnosis of CCUS or LR-MDS
* CCUS defined as persistent cytopenia for \> 6 months (hemoglobin \[Hgb\] \< 11.3 g/dL \[7 mmol/L\] in women and Hgb \< 12.9 g/dL \[8 mmol/L\] in men, platelet \< 150 x 10\^9/L or neutrophils \< 1.8 x 10\^9/L), normal cytogenetics, presence of detectable MDS associated mutations and bone marrow morphology non-diagnostic of MDS or any other malignancies
* LR-MDS as defined by WHO 2016 diagnosis criteria
* Minimum baseline symptom score of 25 in the fatigue section of the symptom questionnaire
* Patients with intake of curcumin as a dietary supplement, including multivitamin and unwillingness to quit more than 24 hours before study start
* Patients with inability to understand and adhere to information given
* Patients receiving active treatment for another malignancy except with hormonal therapy for a malignancy considered to be in remission or growth factors (erythropoietin, granulocyte colony-stimulating factor \[G-CSF\] and luspatercept)
* Patients with intermediate or high-risk MDS
* Patients must not be pregnant or nursing
* Patients must not be on any oral or intravenous steroid or any other anti-inflammatories (ibuprofen \> 200mg/week or 400mg/month, naproxen of any dose, \> 325mg aspirin daily, any herbal anti-inflammatory concoction of any dose)
Additional Trial Information
Enrollment: 30 patients (estimated)