What's the purpose of this trial?
In this trial, the investigators will begin to explore the possibility that, as in mice, janus kinase inhibitor 1 (JAK1) inhibition with haploidentical-hematopoietic cell transplantation (HCT) may mitigate graft-versus-host-disease (GVHD) and cytokine release syndrome (CRS) while retaining Graft-versus-Leukemia (GVL) and improving engraftment. The purpose of this pilot study is to determine the safety of itacitinib with haplo-hematopoietic cell transplantation (HCT) measured by the effect on engraftment and grade III-IV GVHD.
This trial is currently open and accepting patients.
What will happen during the trial?
You may be able to join this trial if you:
The following criteria is a partial list of reasons why patients may be
eligible to participate in this clinical trial. Further evaluation with a medical professional is
Patients must meet the following criteria within 30 days prior to Day 0 unless otherwise noted.
* Diagnosis of a hematological malignancy listed below:
* Acute myelogenous leukemia (AML) in complete morphological remission (based on International Working Group (IWG) Criteria)
* Acute lymphocytic leukemia (ALL) in complete morphological remission (MRD negative, based on IWG Criteria)
* Myelodysplastic syndrome with ≤ 5% blasts in bone marrow.
* Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL) or Hodgkin's disease (HD) in 2nd or greater complete or partial remission.
* Planned treatment is myeloablative or reduced intensity conditioning followed by T Cell-replete peripheral blood haploidentical donor transplantation
* Available human leukocyte antigen (HLA)-haploidentical donor who meets the following criteria:
* Blood-related family member, including (but not limited to) sibling, offspring, cousin, nephew, or parent. Younger donors should be prioritized.
* At least 18 years of age
* HLA-haploidentical donor/recipient match by at least low-resolution typing per institutional standards.
* In the investigator's opinion, is in general good health, and medically able to tolerate leukapheresis required for harvesting hematopoietic stem cells (HSC).
* No active hepatitis.
* Negative for human T-cell lymphotrophic virus (HTLV) and human immunodeficiency virus (HIV).
* Not pregnant.
* Safety Lead-In Phase: For the first three patients, the donor must consent to a second product collection should it prove necessary.
* Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (ECOG) performance status ≤ 2
* Adequate organ function as defined below:
* Total bilirubin must be within normal range at baseline
* Aspartate aminotransferase (AST)(SGOT) and alanine aminotransferase (ALT) (SGPT) ≤ 3.0 x institutional upper limit of normal (IULN).
* Creatinine ≤ 1.5 x IULN OR creatinine clearance ≥ 45 mL/min/1.73 m\^2 by Cockcroft-Gault Formula.
* Oxygen saturation ≥ 90% on room air.
* Left ventricular ejection fraction (LVEF) ≥ 40%.
* Forced expiratory volume (FEV1) and forced vital capacity (FVC) ≥ 40% predicted, diffusing capacity of the lung for carbon monoxide (DLCOc) ≥ 40% predicted. If DLCO is \< 40%, patients will still be considered eligible if deemed safe after a pulmonary evaluation.
* At least 18 years of age at the time of study registration
* Able to understand and willing to sign an Institutional Review Board (IRB) approved written informed consent document (or that of legally authorized representative, if applicable).
* Must be able to receive GVHD prophylaxis with tacrolimus, mycophenolate mofetil, and cyclophosphamide
* Must not have undergone a prior allogeneic donor (related, unrelated, or cord) transplant. Prior autologous transplant is not exclusionary.
* Presence of donor-specific antibodies (DSA) with Mean Fluorescence Intensity (MFI) of ≥2000 as assessed by the single antigen bead assay.
* Known HIV or active hepatitis B or C infection.
* Known hypersensitivity to one or more of the study agents, including Ruxolitinib and Itacitinib.
* Must not have myelofibrosis (unless they are enrolled Amendment #5 or later) or other disease known to prolong neutrophil engraftment to \> 35 days after transplant.
* Must not receive antithymocyte globulin as part of pre-transplant conditioning regimens.
* Currently receiving or has received any investigational drugs within the 14 days prior to the first dose of study drug (Day -3).
* Pregnant and/or breastfeeding.
* Uncontrolled intercurrent illness including, but not limited to, ongoing or active infection, autoimmune disease, symptomatic congestive heart failure, unstable angina pectoris, unstable cardiac arrhythmias, or psychiatric illness/social situations that would limit compliance with study requirements.
* Immunosuppressive doses of steroids. Subjects with steroids for adrenal insufficiency will not be excluded.
Additional Inclusion Criteria Under Amendment 5
* Five subjects with myelofibrosis will be enrolled in the expansion phase.
* Three patients whose donors fail to collect the target number of CD34+ cells and the treating physician choses to move forward with the haplo-HCT will be enrolled in the expansion phase.
Additional Trial Information
Enrollment: 55 patients (estimated)